Russian DIY market stays very interesting for European exporting companies. Import volume of various goods takes till 60% and the import substitution of quality products by the locally produced stays complicated.
- Total market volume of Hard & Soft DIY + Household + Garden in 2016 was 22,6 billion euro, this is 6% less than in 2015. Expectation of the market grow in 2017 is +1-2%
- There are about 800 DIY retail chains in Russia and they keep about 80% of the market. Top 10 DIY leaders have 30% of market share
- Sales volume of the average DIY shop in Russia is 16-19 million units per year (e.g., the middle DIY shop in France sells in average 3,4 million units per year)
- Russian DIY grey market is huge, 30%-60%, depending on product category
- One of the biggest retail chains in Russia is Leroy Merlin (59 shops in 17 different Russian sites) continues expansion to the Russian regions (Vladivostok, Khabarovsk…). Turnover of Leroy Merlin (3,55 billion euro in 2016) grew with 24% last year, the company sold about 1 billion units in Russia. Company expects to increase its ‘sales volume with 27% in 2017 and open 20 new shops
- Online trade of DIY products is the fast-growing trend.
- Government policy ‘Import substitution’ is the important factor, changing the trends and the leaders on the Russian DIY market.
- Second factor of import decrease was a big fluctuation (weakening) of the Russian currency and huge price increase on the importing products in 2015 and first half of 2016.
- The total volume of local DIY production grew with 10% in the period of 2014-2016
- Import substitution by the local products will be possible in some product categories like metal structures and fittings, also bricks, building mixtures. Main import of those products goes from Eastern Europe and China.
- Crushed stone, cement, glass are mainly produced in Russia, import volume is quite small (from 3 till 9%).
- Import volume of ‘more complicated’ product types (like tiles, plasters, paint, varnish, roofing, heat-insulating) takes till 50% of the whole market consumption. Substitution of those products by the locally produced products wil be impossible in a short period. Russia will still import those products.
- Import substitution of the high/ good quality products, also machinery and equipment will be the most difficult (till impossible). Country doesn’t have the knowledge, good investment programs and production capacity.
Sources: RBC, Rosstat, Centerlac, Market guide, Leroy Marlen,
Index Box, Express Obzor, Abarus market, Discovery Research.